How Can I Switch to a Different Home Care Provider?
Many seniors don’t know they have the right to change home care providers at any time. Under the Consumer Directed Care policy (enacted in 2017), older people can choose how their home care package money is spent and who delivers their care. Seniors are now free to compare providers and choose the one they prefer.
One of the most challenging tasks of helping an elderly relative age in place safely and comfortably is researching agencies that provide elderly home care. Sydney families can turn to Home Care Assistance for reliable, high-quality in-home care for ageing adults. We offer 24-hour live-in care for seniors who require extensive assistance, and we also offer respite care for family carers who need a break from their caring duties.
Why Do You Want to Change Providers?
First, think about why you want to leave your current home care provider and the most important things you’re looking for in a new provider. Here are a few common reasons for changing:
- You don’t want to pay additional service charges, daily fees, and other costs
- You aren’t pleased with the current quality of care
- Your current provider is too expensive
- You’re moving to a new location
- You need services the current provider doesn’t offer
- You want to get the most value possible out of your package funds
One possible reason for changing may be an unexpected need to switch to a provider that offers respite care services. There are a variety of reasons family carers should consider respite care. Sydney, NSW, families often have additional responsibilities that make it more challenging to provide the care their senior loved ones need and deserve. A professional respite carer can take over your important caring duties, allowing you more time to focus on yourself.
What Are the Steps for Changing Providers?
No matter what your reasons for wanting to change home care providers, the process is surprisingly easy. Follow these four simple steps when you’re ready to make the change:
1. Advise your current provider you’re moving to a new one and give them the date when the changeover will occur. No explanation is required. The start date with your new provider must be after the end date you agree upon with your old provider, and the dates cannot overlap. At this stage, it’s crucial to understand the fees associated with switching. Your current home care provider is required to help you move to your new one, so make sure you’re aware of all the fees they may charge for switching, such as administration fees, exit fees, and case management fees. These can quickly add up, so be certain you know the total cost before you make your final decision.
2. When you’ve found a new provider, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. Tell them you’re changing providers and ask them to reactivate your referral code. You’ll need to give this referral code to your new provider before you can start receiving their services. Note that once you’ve agreed on an end date with your current provider, you have 56 days from the end date to sign a Home Care Agreement with a new provider. If you don’t have a new Home Care Agreement by that time, your home care package will be withdrawn, and you won’t be able to use your referral code.
3. Call your new provider and give them your referral code and the date you want them to start managing your home care package.
4. Sign contracts with the new home care provider and commence services. If you have unspent funds, the prior company has 56 days to send your accrued funds over to the new company.
If you’re looking to change home care providers for any reason, it’s not only possible, it’s simple and straightforward. Follow the steps outlined above, and your loved one will receive uninterrupted care from a provider you’ve chosen yourself.
When researching agencies that provide in-home care, Sydney, NSW, families are usually looking for flexible care plans, compassionate and highly trained carers, and 24/7 availability. Whether you need respite care to take a break from your caring duties or your senior loved one needs around-the-clock assistance at home, you can rely on Home Care Assistance. To learn more about our reliable, compassionate in-home care services, contact us at [hca_phone] today.